Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015
Marz's Birth Story

It really blows my mind that it's already been 12 weeks since we first laid eyes on our sweet baby boy.  I have been floating around on heavy dose of cloud 9 with a side of caffeine.  

I began having contractions on Sunday, April 19th.  I didn't think much of it because the girls were both 2 weeks overdue, so I was banking that this pregnancy would be the same.  My original due date was April 20th, but our doctor ended up pushing it to April 24th because of the measurements from my ultrasounds.  The doctor actually wanted change the due date to April 28th, but I begged for them to meet me halfway.  It sounds ridiculous, but when you're 9 months pregnant just a day makes a huge difference.  Also, I knew that they would use the due date to determine an induction date, if I would need one.

So, once I felt the contractions on the 19th, I told Marvin that we better get to Target to pick up baby stuff, nursing supplies, snacks and a new robe for me.  Yeah, I was completely behind in being prepared because I was convinced Marz was going to be late.  We picked up everything we needed and then went home to pack our hospital bags "just in case".  

Monday, April 20th, I felt like the contractions were coming more frequently, so I started timing the contractions. After my mom and Marvin's constant encouragement to get to the hospital, I finally caved and went that evening. I ended up being sent home after a few hours with a sleeping pill, 2 sleepy girls, and a frustrated husband. The girls were such troopers! They spent hours in the waiting room while I was monitored and walked through the halls. The sleeping pill was the worst decision ever, but made for some hilarious stories that I heard about later and have absolutely no recollection of. :) 

Of course, my contractions went into overdrive in the middle of the night - ya know, just when the sleeping pill is supposed to be doing its thang. 
Taken the morning I gave birth to Marz // 40 weeks + 1 day
Marvin called my doctor's office early Tuesday morning and they advised us to come in to be checked.  As soon as we walked into the office, it finally sank in that I might actually be in active labor because of all the concerned looks I was given by staff and other patients.  It's funny looking back at it now - I can only imagined what I looked like - a zombie in labor.  I saw my doctor right away who checked me and I was 6 centimeters and told us to go directly to the hospital - he would let them know I was coming and to admit me.  I was shocked that I was already 6 cm!  That morning our doctor wasn't at our normal office location, but it happened to be right across the street from the hospital (hallelujah!).  We went across the street, headed to the Labor & Delivery floor, and was hooked up to an IV.  The nurse checked me again and I was 8cm.  Marvin and I couldn't believe I moved to 8cm within 20 minutes!  The nurses and doctor advised us that we would have our baby that afternoon.  My water broke while I was laying in the bed talking to Marvin.  It was the craziest feeling.  With the girls, my waters never broke naturally.  The afternoon came and went, evening came and went and I was still hanging out at 8cm.  I started getting concerned at stalling and I really didn't want to get any Pitocin.  I had gotten this far by myself that I was bummed when it was finally suggested that I start a low dose of Pitocin.  Once the Pitocin got into my system, I quickly hit 10cm, but the doctor stalled pushing because Marz wasn't low enough at that point. That was surprising considering the amount of pain I was in from the time I was 5 months pregnant and my regular doctor had told me at each of my prenatal appointments that the baby was "really low".   

It was finally time to start pushing at 9:40pm. The nurse asked Marvin to hold my left leg while she held my right, so I could start pushing.  This part is hilarious when Marvin retells the story since he had pictured being up by my head during this time.  He was so great during the whole process.  He gave me so much encouragement.  I was so exhausted at this point between being awake for so many hours and labor, so his encouragement and enthusiasm really got me through the next 22 minutes.  Marvin tells everyone that I turned into the Incredible Hulk during pushing and that he didn't realize there could be so many veins in my face - haha!  But this Incredible Hulk pushed Baby Hulk out before the doctor was completely dressed in his scrubs.  The doctor literally had to come running over to "catch" our son.

Marz Hawk McNutt was born at 10:02pm and a surge of happiness, love, and gratitude to our Lord & Savior came over me.  Marz was immediately placed on my chest where he nestled in for a few minutes and then raised his head to look at me!  The surge of so many happy emotions came over me. After just a few minutes, he began the rooting reflex (helps a breastfed infant find the mother's nipple).  I saw this happen on a documentary I had watched about the benefits of skin-to-skin, but I was still an awe when it actually happened to us.  He began "pecking" all the way down until he found my breast and began to feed.  Just like that.  It was amazing. I loved being able to experience this style of skin-to-skin.  My previous babies were taken to get weighed, measured, and washed up before they were handed to me.  I had no idea how awesome it would feel to have Marz skin-to-skin with me for an hour.  It's a moment I will cherish forever.  And just when I thought my heart couldn't swell anymore, I handed Marz to Marvin for the first time and when I saw Marvin's face...there are no words. Marvin was so proud and I fell even more in love with my husband.  I didn't sleep at all that night.  I just kept staring at the little miracle in our room and thanking God for giving me such a gift and all the previous gifts and gifts to come. He is so good!!

I couldn't wait for all three (THREE!) of my kids to be together! Marvin brought the girls to the hospital the next morning.  The girls were so sweet with their little brother and the five of us hung out and loved on our new baby the rest of the day.

The next day we were discharged from the hospital and greeted at home by Paris, Sophia, and my sister Jenna.  She was such a huge help during our first week at home.  We were so blessed that she was able to come help out.  Following her visit, Marvin's parents came to Charlotte to meet Marz, spoil the girls, and continue to help around the house.  After they left, my mom and brother visited for a week.  We hadn't seen them for over a year, so it was a very nice reunion! Marvin and I even got a chance to sneak in a little date night.

This little boy has brought our home more happiness (and sleepless nights) than I ever could have imagined. My heart is overflowing and family of five looks pretty good on us! ;)















1 comment:

  1. These photos are precious!!! A little late, but congratulations to you both.

    ReplyDelete